It’s amazing how one small, simple change to your morning routine can boost the way you feel throughout your day. Even better, this change can quickly result In a noticeable, positive and long-term impact on your overall health when repeated daily.
What’s the simple step we’re talking about? Drinking organic lemon water with added peel. It’s the ultimate early morning no-brainer. While lemons are known for their cleansing and detoxifying properties (not to mention the proverbial vitamin C dose), there’s so much more to lemon water. Here’s a closer behind-the-scenes look into why this citrus powerhouse combined with water and peel yields so many healthy rewards:
1) Digestion-Aiding From encouraging the liver to produce bile for digestion to loosening ama, or toxins, in the digestive tract, lemon juice makes it easier for the digestive system to do its job. The chemical composition of lemons is similar to saliva and the hydrochloric acid of digestive juices. The digestive qualities of lemon juice are also known to relieve the symptoms of indigestion and all its accompanying unpleasantries.
2) Detoxifying Lemon water in the morning helps flush those toxins out! Because lemons are a diuretic, unwanted toxins are released faster because lemons increase the rate of urination in the body. This helps keep your urinary tract healthy! And don’t forget the citric acid in lemons, either. It helps maximize enzyme function, which stimulates the liver and aids in detoxification.
3) Immunity-Boosting. We all know citrus is high in vitamin C and lemons are no exception. Vitamin C is great for fighting and reducing the longevity of colds, minimizing phlegm, and having anti-inflammatory effects on the body. Moreover, lemon peel is high in potassium, which helps maintain a healthy blood pressure and stimulate brain functions.
4) Body-Alkalizing. We think of lemons as acidic, and they are. But did you know once they’re ingested, they’re one of the most alkalizing foods out there? Because lemons contain both citric and ascorbic acid, the weak acids are easily metabolized, allowing the mineral content of lemons to help alkalize the blood. In contrast, disease-conducive environments occur when pH levels in the body are acidic. Drinking lemon water regularly can help restore balance to the body’s pH.
5) Weight Loss-Promoting. Lemons are high in pectin fiber, which helps fight hunger cravings. Combine that with the extremely low calorie count of lemon water and better digestion, and you’re heading in the right direction to shedding unwanted weight.
6) Bacteria-Fighting Experiments have found the juice of lemons destroys the bacteria of malaria, cholera, diphtheria, typhoid and other deadly diseases. It can also kills some types of bacteria known to cause acne.
7) Cholesterol-Lowering. Compounds in citrus peels have the potential to lower cholesterol. A recent pilot study just showed that peel compounds called “polymethoxylated flavones” (PMFs), when combined with other citrus chemicals, significantly reduced total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol and triglycerides.
8) Breath-Freshening. This goes hand-in-hand with bacteria-fighting. Besides fresher breath, lemons have been known to help prevent gingivitis by fighting the bacteria that causes it. Lemon water in the morning makes for cleaner mouth to start your day without hurting your tooth enamel!
9) Energizing According to The Reams Biological Ionization Theory, lemon is one of the few foods that carries a “negative” charge. Because of this, when it enters the digestive tract, it provides the body with more cell energy compared to most other foods. Also, the smell of lemon juice can brighten your mood and clear your mind.
10) Cancer-Fighting Lemons contain 22 anti-cancer compounds including naturally-occurring limonene, an oil which slows or halts the growth of cancer tumors in animals. Additionally, flavonol glycocides stop cell division in cancer cells.